Aleksander I i śmiertelny robak w ostrygach

 Drzeworyt z lat 1850tych przedstawiający doktora Roberta Lee


W 1854 Robert Lee FRS opublikował w Londynie książkę pt. Ostatnie dni Aleksandra, i pierwsze dni Mikołaja (The last days of Alexander, and the first days of Nicholas). Warto zwrócić uwagę na datę jej publikacji – wszak w marcu owego 1854 Wielka Brytania wypowiada „krymską” wojnę Rosji, a już w czerwcu mister Lee daje swoje wspomnienia do druku… Ostrzeżenie było bardzo poważne, wszak raptem kilka miesięcy później car Wszechrosji Mikołaj I doczekał swych ostatnich dni i gwałtownie zszedł był z tego świata:

Nicholas died on 2 March 1855, during the Crimean War, at the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg. He caught a chill, refused medical treatment and died of pneumonia,[66] although there were rumors he had committed suicide.[67]

I tak to się plecie.

Ów Lee był Szkotem i lekarzem (specjalizującym się ginekologii i położnictwie), który w kluczowym roku 1825 osobiście spotkał cara Aleksandra. I to w czasie owego feralnego pobytu cara na Krymie kiedy go otruto, jak doniósł nam książę Sapieha. No, ale po kolei.

Późną jesienią 1824, w czasie wielkich powodzi w Europie, Lee wyruszył drogą lądową do Rosji – przez Kraków, Lwów i Brody dotarł do Odessy 8 stycznia 1825. W Odessie rozpoczął służbę u księcia Woroncowa, władcy, tj. pardon gubernatora Noworosji, od 1823:

On the 11th of August, 1825, his Excellency Count Woronzow and his suite embarked at Odessa on board Admiral Greig’s yacht, and sailed for the Crimea. The Counts F. Pahlen, Olizar**, Potoski***, and the Baron de Brunow (afterwards Russian minister in England) were among the number…

After visiting all the most interesting places in the Crimea, I embarked on board Admiral Greig’s yacht at Sevastopol on the 23rd September, and returned to Odessa, with Count F. Pahlen, on the 1st of October. Count Woronzow at the same time set out for Taganrog, to meet the Emperor Alexander, who had arrived there with the Empress a short time before, with the intention of spending the winter on the shores of the sea of Azoff…

On the 14th of October, 1825 (o.s.) at Odessa, I received a letter from Count Woronzow at Taganrog, informing me of the Emperor’s determination to visit the Crimea, and requesting me to meet him at Bereslaw, on the Dnieper. I accordingly left Odessa in the afternoon of the same day, with General Bashmakoff, Messrs. Marini and Artemieff. We arrived at Nicolaef in the afternoon of the 15th, and remained a few hours with Admiral Greig, who had just returned from Taganrog…

On the 25th, the Emperor arrived at Simpheropol. He went to the service in the cathedral the following morning, and he arrived at Yoursouff about four o’clock in the afternoon, accompanied by General Diebitch, Sir James Wylie, and a few attendants. When he dismounted from his horse in front of the house at Yoursouff, Count Woronzow, his aides-de-camp, secretaries, and myself, were standing in a line to receive him. Though apparently active, and in the prime and vigour of life, the Emperor stooped a little in walking, and seemed rather inclined to corpulency…

Before coming to Aloupka, he visited the vineyards at Martyan, and the Princess Galitzin at Musghor, distributing liberally to the poor in his way. Count Woronzow, General Diebitch, Sir James Wylie, and myself, with one or two others, had the honour of dining with the Emperor on this occasion, the last day he was destined to enjoy. The Emperor addressed himself chiefly to Count Woronzow, who was seated next to His Majesty, and the greater part of the conversation was carried on in French and English. Again his Majesty recurred to the beauties of Orianda, and thanked the Count for the acquisition he had that day made for him…

There were oysters at dinner, and a small worm was adhering to the shell of one presented to His Majesty. This was shown to Sir James Wylie, who said it was quite common and harmless ; and he reminded the Emperor of a circumstance which had occurred to them at the Congress of Yerona. A person at Venice had then sent to the Emperor to intreat that he would abstain from the use of oysters, as there was a poisonous marine worm or insect in them…

The Emperor retired to rest early in the evening. In the middle of the night a courier arrived upon which he arose and transacted business. General Diebitch, who slept in a house close to that in which I was, was twice summoned in the night to wait upon His Majesty. I was afterwards informed that the despatches brought by the courier were of the highest public importance; in fact, that they fully revealed to His Majesty the existence of a dangerous and extensive conspiracy, of which he had not been previously fully aware.

On the morning of the 27th, after breakfast, the Emperor sent a message to say that he desired me to accompany him round the lower garden. After some conversation respecting the illness of the Empress and the proposal that I should visit Her Majesty professionally at Taganrog, he again called my attention to the magnificence of the scenery around us, and expressed the pleasure he had derived from this visit to the Crimea, and the hope he entertained that at no very remote period its shores would be full of rich vineyards, and contain many flourishing villages and towns…

At mid-day the Emperor and his attendants were on horseback, and, after shaking hands with and taking an affectionate leave of all, he set out for Sevastopol. In a few days I returned with Count Woronzow to Odessa, by Perecop, Bereslaw, and Nicolaef, where we remained till the 22nd of November, 1825.

At eight o’clock on Sunday morning, the 22nd of November, Count Woronzow expressed a wish to see me in his library. On going there, the Count stated that he had received bad news from Taganrog that the Emperor was dangerously ill; and that I must set out with him,in two hours, to render my assistance with the other physicians…

We started from Odessa at mid-day ; and when our carriage was going slowly over the deep sands by the sea-shore, the Count said that unpleasant occurrences seldom came alone ; that a letter had arrived that morning from London, informing; him of an accident which had endangered the life of his father ; also that William Findley, who had been his father’s coachman for upwards of thirty years, had been thrown from his box, and killed on the spot. I knew William Findley well,” he added, bursting into tears; „and feel how much my father must have suffered on the occasion.”

In the morning of the 24th, we reached Oriekoff, which is on the high road between Taganrog and Warsaw, where the Grand Duke Constantine then was. The postmaster of this place stated that no account had been received of the Emperor’s death ; but he must have wished to conceal the fact, for at the next post station we were at once informed that the news of his decease had been received two days before.”


Przypominam, że tego samego lata innym jachtem, tym Iwana de Witt, na Krym popłynął nasz wieszcz Adam. A ów jego opiekun de Witt, wedle Sapiehy, brał udział w tej słynnej biesiadzie, tyle że jakoś to przeżył. Do niego, gubernatora Woroncowa i tych niezawodnych szkockich lekarzy wrócę tu niebawem… wszak „opiekował” się wtedy Aleksandrem ten sam dr Wylie, który stwierdził udar jako przyczynę śmierci jego uduszonego ojca, Pawła I.



**) Jego ojciec:

***) Seweryn Potocki?

7 myśli na temat “Aleksander I i śmiertelny robak w ostrygach”


Wprowadź swoje dane lub kliknij jedną z tych ikon, aby się zalogować:


Komentujesz korzystając z konta Wyloguj /  Zmień )

Zdjęcie na Google

Komentujesz korzystając z konta Google. Wyloguj /  Zmień )

Zdjęcie z Twittera

Komentujesz korzystając z konta Twitter. Wyloguj /  Zmień )

Zdjęcie na Facebooku

Komentujesz korzystając z konta Facebook. Wyloguj /  Zmień )

Połączenie z %s